The SSILA Program Committee is seeking session chairs for our 2018 annual meeting in Salt Lake City. The meeting will be held on January 4-7.
Session chairs introduce speakers, moderate any discussion during the question-and-answer period, and remind speakers when the time allotted for their 20-minute talk is drawing to a close. Session chairs should hold a PhD and be current SSILA members.
The following sessions are in need of a chair:
- Thursday 4 January: Revitalization – 4:00PM-5:30PM
- Thursday 4 January: Evidentiality – 4:00PM-5:00PM
- Thursday 4 January: Lexicography – 5:00PM-6:30PM
- Friday 5 January: Genealogical and areal linguistics – 9:00AM-12:00PM
- Friday 5 January: Acquisition – 9:00AM-10:30AM
- Friday 5 January: Morphology – 10:30AM-12:30PM
- Friday 5 January: Semantics – 2:00PM-3:30PM
- Friday 5 January: Syntax 1 – 2:00PM-4:00PM
- Friday 5 January: Demonstratives (and determiners) – 3:30PM-5:00PM
- Friday 5 January: Historical linguistics – 4:00PM-5:30PM
- Saturday 6 January: Phonetics/Phonology 1 – 8:30AM-10:30AM
- Saturday 6 January: Syntax 2 – 8:30AM-11:00AM
- Saturday 6 January: Ideophones – 9:00AM-11:00AM
- Saturday 6 January: Interfaces – 2:00PM-4:30PM
- Sunday 7 January: Phonetics/Phonology 2 – 9:00AM-11:30AM
- Sunday 7 January: Morphology/syntax interface – 9:00AM-11:00AM
The most current version of the SSILA 2018 program may be viewed here. It contains more detailed information about the sessions listed above.
To volunteer to chair a session, please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 12, stating your name and the session(s) you would like to chair. The Program Committee will then get back to you with our official requests for you to chair a session. Volunteers will be provided with a packet containing basic instructions and “time cards” to let speakers know how much time they have left.
Thank you in advance for your willingness to help out and we look forward to seeing you in January!